Monday 27 April 2015

A revamped desk for Miss B's room

I've been looking for a desk for Miss B's room.

And I found a super cute retro wooden school desk from the 70's or 80's on an auction site in New Zealand called trademe.







It needed a little work.

So to work Miss B and I went. The first step was to clean off the dirt and spiderwebs and stickers. Miss B was happy to deal with the stickers, but the spiderwebs were Mum's job.

Next we sanded off the felt tip marks and sticker residue. I used an electric sander because I had one, but hand sanding would be just as good.



 Its already looking better.





I decided to undercoat with some budget all purpose white paint I already had and then to spray a top coat with gloss white so there wouldn't be brush or roller marks visible.

I rolled as much of the undercoat as I could then used a brush for the corners. As it is going to be subjected to the rough and tumble of Miss B, I did three lots of undercoat, then a light sand.

After the undercoat had dried I used this brand of spray paint ( this can says clear gloss but I used the white gloss for this project).



Two coats of top coat and the job was done. This is the finished article.




The stripe on the side is a light effect, I swear!
Miss B is delighted and so am I. The whole project took 3 days but it was worth it. All Miss B's art and stationary supplies fit under the lid which lifts up. A great bonus in the never-ending battle for domestic organisation.

See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment